[Sca-cooks] trivets and dutch ovens

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 23 03:23:34 PDT 2005

I cooked in both camp ovens and a brick wall oven.  Oddly enough, I seemed to need to protect the top of what I was baking, either by covering it with paper in the wall oven or putting very few coals on top of the camp ovens.  However, cooking out of doors I do seem to burn the bottoms of things more than I remember doing at work.  Perhaps I'm overcompensating for the need to heat the "floor" underneath the oven--it appears that brick takes more to heat than dirt!  More research is required.