[Sca-cooks] trivets and dutch ovens

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 23 14:38:50 PDT 2005

Lyse asked me:
> I take it that the "bring soapy water to boil to loosen the burned on
> stuff" didn't work?
> Growing up I watched my Grandma use the Ol' dutch. That is where I
> learned to "season" it and lessen the chance of food sticking.

Well, that was about 35 years ago, but I seem to remember asking that
question. I wasn't the one who took it home after the campout to clean
it. The troop used cast aluminum dutch ovens rather than cast iron, so
that might have affected things as well. From then on, I've always
created an airspace in the dutch oven under the food.

Another thing I remember learning was that you really do need to stir
spagetti when you are boiling it. Otherwise you get crunchy spagetti on
top and mushy spagetti on the bottom. :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com