[Sca-cooks] Re: Northern Italian Feast - Commentary

Sheila McClune smcclune at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 23 23:06:40 PDT 2005

From: nickiandme at att.net (Debra Hense/Kateryn de Develyn)

>The menu was:
><snip>

Puff pastry with Proscuitto ham #42B
<<<

This was really good.  I tried to kidnap my husband's when he wasn't
looking, but he caught me.

>Pie of Cherries  #55B

<<<

I have to say, I'm not especially fond of cherries or cherry pie, but I
ate every bite of this.  It was soooooo good!

>Garlic sauce #88B, Mustard sauce #85D, Sweet sauce #88A

<<<

The mustard sauce bit back, but was *excellent* on the pork.

>A discussion of how it went - the Golden Baloney and Marzipan Pastry disguised as beans didn't get made.  We just plain ran out of time. I don't think too many people missed them though.

<<<

Well, I'm a big marzipan fan, so I missed that.  And I was curious as to
what Golden Baloney might be.  You said the .pdf was online at the SCA
Authentic Feasts -- is that the same list as the SCA Authentic Cooks, or
a different one?

>The Marchioness pie got a tad overdone and was dry.  Some of the pastries were dried out.  I was using convection ovens at a high altitude and while my dough puffed into beautiful flakey layers - it also severely dried out and so was crunchy.  One of the pastries (in the Catalan style)  - I completely spaced off my own instructions/redaction and just threw it together like the other two.  The cheese pastry and the meat one were still both very good.  They would have been excellent if they had had just a little more moisture.

<<<

Yeah, cooking at altitude can be an adventure.  Of course, I have almost
as much fun adjusting to cooking at a *lower* altitude. :)

>The stuffed cabbage didn't have enough garlic, and was overcooked. This was my fault as I forgot to watch them and didn't assign someone specifically to watch them.

<<<

I actually thought they were quite tasty.

>We didn't have enough aspargus. I didn't realize so many people would like aspargus - I'm more used to dealing with the eww! more green stuff attitude.  They by the way turned out exactly as planned.

<<<

For some reason, asparagus is very popular in these parts.  I'm fond of
it myself, and the 'gus you served made me wish there had been more --
lots more.  Did I mention that it was yummy?

>I can mail the .pdf format of the feast to anyone who asks.

<<<

Me, please?

Arwen