[Sca-cooks] Tomatoes was Re Pasta Experiment Update

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jun 24 06:22:03 PDT 2005

>>  Tomatoes were just being introduced in the last century
>>  of our eras and only being written about in the last half
>>  of the last century that we cover.
>
> I keep forgetting that tomatoes were treated with much the same attention
> as
> Nightshade and Hellebore. :)
>
> Thank you for reminding me.

This is an assumption that may be unwarranted.  The fact that something is a
member of the Solanacea does not automatically relegate it to non-use in
period, as is proven by eggplant and tobacco.

The first mention is in Matthiolus around 1534 with a full discourse in
1544.  IIRC, tomatoes also appear in Fuchs 1545.  The use of the tomato in
the New World was well documented in the 16th and early 17th Centuries.  In
reference to Europe, Castore Durante (1585) states, "They are eaten in the
same way as eggplants..."  He wasn't fond of them, so they got panned.
Gerard gives a similar review.

A tomato and chili peppers appear in a painting from the School of
Caravaggio around 1607.  A tomato, two eggplants and a type of pumpkin
appear in Murillo's The Angels Kitchen (1646).

Latini's Lo scalco alla moderna (1692) provides several recipes for
tomatoes, all labelled alla spagnuola, in the Spanish style.  One of them is
for a dish combining tomato, eggplant, and pumpkin.

I suspect what you have with the tomato is similar to the problem with
maize.  We know it was there.  We know it was used.  But we don't have
enough evidence to define the scope and speed of its spread and use.

Bear