[Sca-cooks] Ratio

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 24 16:55:34 PDT 2005

Vladimir Armbruster wrote:

>I've been sifting through the Florilegium (Sp?)  But I was curious if anyone
>knew of some good translated texts that covered German food in the 1400's?
>
>England About the Same Time?
>
>And Romania (Whatever it was at that point, my politico-geographical
>knowledge of the time is severely lacking)

You need to talk to Gwen Cat...she's our resident German expert...as is
Lady Hrosvitha.  For England...there are a number of texts in Middle
English that aren't that hard to translate yourself...but to give you a
feel for recipes from that period, check out "Take a Thousand Eggs or
More", a two-volume compendium of recipes that has some "translations"
along with some redactions.  Cindy Renfrew, who some times checks in on
this list, is the author.  Not a clue about Romania, though you might
try checking for other Eastern European cuisines.

Kiri