[Sca-cooks] Manti

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Jun 24 19:57:53 PDT 2005

>Not by that name.  There is a similar Persian dish called
>"joshparag", which is a meat ravioli
>cooked in yoghury and triangular in shape, but two arms of the
>triangle are twisted together.
>Charles Perry doesn't mention manti as a relative.  He does link it
>to Turkish meat pie called
>"borek" and to a Russian meat ravioli "pelmeni".

Josh means goat or mutton or meat in Indian cooking, and I would
guess that it means the same in Persian.  Parag sounds a lot like
Pierogi, which is a Polish filled dumpling or pastry.  Filling
wrapped with pasta and boiled or pastry and fried.  So Joshparag
could mean meat dumpling.. basically a meat ravioli.

---------This was definitely not pie-like.

Borek or bric are a filling wrapped with flaky pastry or these days
filo and either baked or fried.  Some are appetizer size, some are a
handheld meal,  some are a pie.

Ranvaig