[Sca-cooks] A passing...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Jun 25 08:17:47 PDT 2005

On Jun 24, 2005, at 10:13 AM, Phlip wrote:

> I think those of us who care about Master Adamantius might want to
> express
> our condolences. Last evening, about 6:18 PM, his brother, Pete,
> passed
> away, quietly, at home, after a long illness.

Hey, all...

So many people have sent the most loving and supportive messages both
to this list and privately, I just wanted to drop a quick note
thanking you all. The support is most welcome, and for all that
expressed a sentiment like, "I'm not sure what I can do, but if
there's anything I can do...", rest assured you've already done it,
and it helps a great deal. When you're in a situation like this, the
world and one's focus tend to shrink, and a friendly lifeline to the
Real World Outside (tm) often makes the crucial difference between
Sanity and That Other Thing.

So, for that, my thanks to you all. My brother wasn't a SCAdian, and
I'm not even sure if he ever fully grasped the concept, but those of
you who've seen and admired the wooden carving board I often bring to
events, with the intertwined dragons, the odd assortment of gigantic
and quirkily-designed wooden spoons I frequently bring into event
kitchens, and the dulcimer my lady wife [very] occasionally brings to
camping events, will have seen his work.

This has been an interesting experience, overall, and I can't really
say it's all been bad. Those who stressed the importance of hanging
onto our memories can rest assured that we all will, and that among
the more unusual ones will be of the moments we could clearly see my
brother fighting to keep some shred of himself, his personality, his
humor and his love, rather than just becoming a bag of pain and
morphine. Hey, how often does one get to tease a terminally ill
patient about morphine and actually share a genuine, loving laugh
about it while the patient tries to croak out verses of "Willie the
Weeper", and have it be socially acceptable? He and I have been lucky
in that respect, and he remained himself, for the most part, without
unnecessary suffering until he just slipped through our fingers like
water, so slowly we weren't sure what had happened.

So now we do the rest of the stuff, pretty much secure in the
knowledge that things have gotten as bad as they can get, and will
get better. On Wednesday I can turn off the phone (at least
temporarily) and get out that bottle of 16-year-old Laphroaig with my
name on it.

Again, many thanks to you all for your loving support, both for
myself and for my family.

A.