[Sca-cooks] cinnamon leaves

colleen.mcdonald at comcast.net colleen.mcdonald at comcast.net
Wed Jun 29 08:23:05 PDT 2005

> In Scully's translation of "Viandier" the phrase "fleur de canelle"
> shows up three times. Twice he translates this as ground cinnamon
> (cassia) and once as cassia buds. >>

In the footnote for "Gelee de poisson",  Scully refers to Pegolotti's records on "fiori di cannella" (page 129).  Francesco Balducci Pegolotti was a 14th century Florentine merchant working for the Bardi.  He was quite prolific in recording details of the business, which can be found in _La Practica della Mercatura_.  (Editor: Allan Evans.  Cambridge, Massachusetts; The Medieval Academy of America, 1936.)

In the section discussing the properties of "fiori di cannella", Pegolotti includes a small drawing, which was reproduced in the published version.  I'm at work and don't have a way to scan it in, but it looks for all the world like a cassia bud.

Cainder