[Sca-cooks] musings on nightshade

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 09:32:23 PDT 2005

Alan Davidson mentions different dates.  The Spanish first encountered them in Colombia in
1537 and called them "truffles".  The potato was introduced to Spain in the 1550's.  And also
to Italy, but the variety introduced had climatic requirements that Spain and Italy could not
meet and this variety was small, watery and somewhat bitter, and therefore unappealing. He also
says, "It is generally accepted that potatoes were introduced to the British Isles (including
Ireland) during the 1590's."  He goes on to relate that Protestants refused to plant potatoes
and one reason was that they weren't mentioned in the Bible.  Irish Catholics got around this
by "sprinkling their seed potatoes with holy water and planting them on Good Friday."

Davidson goes on to say that Gerard appears to have "muddled" potatoes with another American tuber
called "openauk".

Huette