[Sca-cooks] musings on nightshade

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 17:23:38 PDT 2005

--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> He goes on to relate that Protestants refused to plant potatoes
> > and one reason was that they weren't mentioned in the Bible.  Irish
> > Catholics got around this
> > by "sprinkling their seed potatoes with holy water and planting them on
> > Good Friday."
>
> Source?

It is hard to tell where he found that.  His bibliography is huge [26 pages].  At the end of the
entire article he gives us these books for further reading.  Since I have neither of them, I
can't tell you which provided what.  Or if he found this someplace else entirely.  I could tell
you to ask him, but that might take a ouija board or a medium.

Barehan, Lindsay
  In Praise of the Potato.  London, Grafton Books, 1991.

Robyns, Gwen
  The Potato Cookbook.  London, Pan Books, 1980.

You really need to buy his book.  It is only $30 in paperback new.  It is the winner of the James
Beard Foundation Book Award.

Huette