[Sca-cooks] 10th c Irish Feast

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 30 14:06:58 PDT 2005

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote:

> It is the time when I start making plans for the 10th Century Irish
> feast we do each August.
> (If anyone is in reach of Central Ohio, please do join us!)
>
> Someone had commented that Cormarye was possibly an early recipe and
> it sounded interesting. Nothing in it that is out of place in 1005.
>
> Then I found this comment in the Florilegium: "Conspicuous absentees"
> from among the Dublin finds were said to be coriander, and hops.  Is
> coriander is appropriate for 10th Century Ireland?
>

> One of our members is allergic to wine (and grapes and wine vinegar).
> Could I substitute beer or mead?
>
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/pork-msg.html
> Cormarye. Take colyaundre, caraway smale grounded, powdour of peper and
> garlec ygrounde, in rede wyne; medle alle thise togyder and salt it. Take
> loynes of pork rawe and fle of the skyn, and pryk it wel with a knyf, and
> lay it in the sawse. Roost whan thou wilt, & kepe that that fallith
> therfro
> in the rostyng and seeth it in a possynet with faire broth, & serve it
> forth
> with the roost anoon.
>

> Rosehips are on the list of foods found in Dublin, how would they have
> been cooked?  I wondered about Pears, Rosehips and Honey, instead of
> the later Pears cooked in wine.
>

> This is the tentative menu:
>
> Served hot:
> Chicken braised with leeks and parsley
> Pork in Cormaye Sauce ??
> Salmon
> Carrots, Turnips, and Parsnips roasted
> Barley and Hazelnuts
>
> Served cold:
> Cured salmon, herring
> Pears with Rosehips ??
> plums, peaches, cherries, berries, other fruit in season
> Cheese, homemade and purchased
> Mustard sauce, Garlic sauce
> Bread, Oatcakes
> Butter, honey, salt
> Mead, Cider, Water

I've made the dish and I can't think of anything that you could
substitute that would be even close.  If it's only one person, can you
just make a small portion of roast pork without the wine and make the
regular cormarye for the rest?  You could potentially use the herbs that
season the marinade as a rub for that one....

Kiri