[Sca-cooks] Ode to the Scullion

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Tue May 3 14:09:45 PDT 2005

Yo, any Kiplingheads here?

Points for guessing the original :) And feel free to post this in your next
feast kitchen.

The Scullions

After the sated feasters leave,
And the kitchen crew have fled,
The dutiful scullions come out at eve,
When their lordships are safely abed.

They wipe the tables and clear the plates,
'Till the feasthall stands silent and bare,
Then hie to the kitchens where still awaits,
Their labours' more arduous share:

In scalding water to plunge, unafraid,
Their hands, though the heat they feel,
For washing platters must not be delayed,
Lest the gravy and grease congeal.

They brave the knife in the shadowy murk,
Of the washing basin hid,
And sweep under cupboards where dust-mice lurk,
By their tireless conscience bid,

For they are resolute to preserve,
The good name that SCAdians bear,
And to leave the memories that well serve,
When we ask for the site next year.

It went down well with our crew, and I like to have the help freel appreciated

Giano