[Sca-cooks] Paneer - was Re: Meat prices

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 12:31:02 PDT 2005

I recently found out what paneer is.  It's a cheese that anyone with a double boiler, a gallon of whole milk (4% butterfat) and a few fresh lemons can make fairly easily.

Gently heat the milk in the double boiler until it starts getting little tiny bubbles around the edge, then remove from the heat and stir in fresh lemon juice until the milk separates into curds and whey.  Then pour the curds and whey into a cloth bag that is sitting in a colander on your sink's drainboard. (This assumes that you don't have a use for whey that is lemon flavored.)

Hang the bag (over the sink or a bowl) until it stops dripping.  This will take several hours.  The remaining white stuff is paneer.  Scrape it out of the cloth bag into a refrigerator container.  It should be good for 3-4 days if kept refrigerated.

Note: For the cloth bag  I folded a plain-weave kitchen towel in half and sewed up the "sides".  The cheesecloth I can buy at the store is useless for this because the curds are quite small and the cheesecloth is very loosely woven.

Cordelia Toser

Sue Clemenger <mooncat at in-tch.com> wrote:

<snip>

I've been starting to explore some meat-free or meat-reduced cuisines.
I've only got the one, little cookbook on curries and Indian
(sub-continent) food, and would love to get a good cookbook for it.
Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd like to know how to make
paneer, for instance, which my little book doesn't touch on, although it
has interesting things like instructions for making coconut milk, and
various fresh spice blends. Mmmmmm.....
--maire, making herself hungry and it's not even breakfast time yet! ;o)