[Sca-cooks] A curious coincidence- OT

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu May 12 01:28:15 PDT 2005

I am currently reading, "The Thirteenth Tribe", by Arthur Koestler, and I
came upon the following paragraph:

The Byzantine Emporer, Priscus tells us, tried to win this warrior race to
his side, but the greedy Khazar chieftain, named Karidach, considered the
bribe offered him inadequate, and sided with the Huns. Attila defeated
Karidach's rival chieftains, installed him as sole ruler of the Akatzirs,
and invited him to visit his court. Karidach thanked him profusely for the
invitation, and went on to say, "it would be too hard on a mortal man to
look into the face of a god. For, as one cannot stare into the sun's disc,
even less could one look into the face of the greatest god without suffering
injury." Attila must have been pleased, for he confirmed Karidach in his
rule."

Note that the commentator, Priscus, was a favorite of the Byzantine court,
and thus somewhat prejudiced in his comments.

None the less, the entire sequence reminds me distinctly of someone we all
know here, and how he might deal with an unwanted invitation. Now, if the
gentleman were only a good Jew (or actually at that time, a good pagan- this
was well before the Khazar nation converted to Judaism) instead of one of
those silly Moslems, we might actually have a Real Historical Figure in our
midst ;-)

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.