[Sca-cooks] Period Tomatoes

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 04:42:05 PDT 2005

I've run into a character on another list who insists that the Turks were using tomatoes for thousands of years before the rest of Europe.  Claims his Turkish Language teachers in the '60's taught him that the English word 'tomato' comes from the Turkish "domatesli" and that he has recipes from the Seljurk Empire.  When asked for a recipe he came up with one from the Turkish embassy that is obviously modern.  When faced with the research material I have on the subject, he insisted that American sources were clueless about Old World botany. He's one of these people that refuse to be relieved of their delusions, so I've quit arguing with him.
Problem is, he's in a forum where a lot of SCA cooks are, who are, and we know that sometime in the future this recipe is going to show up at a feast or as an A&S entry.
Oh well, I did my best.  Any more would be wasted breath.

Pat Griffin
Lady Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook
Shire of Thorngill, Meridies
Mundanely, Millbrook, AL
Vert, between four cauldrons or, a cross checky argent and sable