[Sca-cooks] Re Daniel's Fish Story

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Sun May 15 15:36:38 PDT 2005

        From Pleyn Delit, first edition, redacted from Forme of Curye...
Take Makerels and smyte hem on pecys; cast hem on water and verious; seep hem
with myntes and with oother erbes; color it greene or yelow, and mess it
forth.

     2-3 mackerel, amounting to at least 2 lb fish
     1 C water, Salted
     1-4 C vinegar (white has least discolouring effect - but I like cider)
     4 large sprigs parsley and 3 or so of fresh mint (if dried mint, ca 1T)
     3-4 scallions or green onions

Mackerel should be cleaned and the head removed (if desired).  Either leave
fish whole or cut into pieces (ca 2 in long).  Put into cooking pot with
scallions, mint and 3 parsley sprigs; pour salted water and vinegar over and bring
to a simmer. Cook gently for 15-20 minutes (depending on size.) Remove fish to
a serving dish, sprinkle with remaining parsley, finely minced, and pour some
of the cooking liquid, strained, over it. (Or use sorrell, minced, or ground
with salt, in place of parsley, for the sauce - this is specifically prescribed
in the slightly later version.)

However, I like to serve it with the cooked greens, which I really like. (You
can cut them into 2 inch lengths.)

Interesting - I hadn't reread the original version in a long time; didn't
realise that it called for verjuice rather than vinegar. So maybe using the cider
vinegar isn't all that far off.

Anyway, it's very tasty.
     Devra

Devra Langsam