Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Burdock root

Kim nyxiz at shaw.ca
Mon May 23 15:25:39 PDT 2005

Greetings to the list,

I am Lady Ciar from the Shire of Harrows Cross, in Avacal.  I have just
started Society cooking in the last couple years after taking some
courses from Maitress Anne-Marie d'Ailleurs (wonderful teacher!) at a
cooking Ithra we had up here.

Sorry for the late reply, but I am just catching up on the posts for the
weekend.  I see no one has replied to this question yet, so I will
delurk and take a stab at it as we grow burdock in the garden and eat it
regularly.  Burdock is also know as gobo in Japanese.  It must be soaked
in water first to remove the bitterness or aku (like some egg plant).
Typically we cut it up in thin long narrow pieces on the mandolin and
soak it in cold water.  The water will take on a blackish hue and that
is what makes the root bitter.  I believe we soak our overnight with a
couple changes of water.  Once it is soaked it has a nice kind of nutty
flavour.  It can be par boiled and frozen.

We like it sautéed with bacon with a touch of  soy sauce (light) and
chilli oil to taste.  This dish is called kipura gobo (I think I spelt
that right).  Or we make tempura fitters with the gobo and shredded
carrots mixed with batter and dropped by the chopstickful in the hot
oil.  My mother also likes stewing bigger pieces in a soy sauce/dashi
base with other vegetables, like lotus root, taro root and bamboo shoots.

Hope this helps.
Ciar