[Sca-cooks] Paper twists of spice (Was spice storage)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun May 1 07:28:46 PDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 01:19:14PM -0700, Huette von Ahrens wrote:
> Printing or decoration?  Someone could have painted the shell or carved it.  Perhaps it is
> a piece of stiff cloth or decorated leather?  I know that I am grasping at straws, but I am
> having a hard time with the concept that someone desecrated a book to wrap spices in paper.

They didn't use pencils then, so pages (before binding) that someone
made an error on that were un-scrapeable would be recycled. Ruined pages
are used in bookbinding in period also, to make the straps to bind the
pages (I've seen and handled a period example)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand.
			-- Harry S. Truman