[Sca-cooks] How much land to feed a person

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Tue May 3 06:15:30 PDT 2005

Daniel Phelps wrote:

> Martin provide these references:

Machines, Technology, Change

A survey of technology and change,
from ancient through medieval times.

The References

J. G. Landels; "Engineering in the Ancient World";
ISBN 0-520-22782-4;
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0520227824/qid=999260727/sr=1-2/ref=sc_b_2/102-3483475-4458511

Frances and Joseph Gies; "Cathedral, Forge, and Waterwheel";
ISBN 0-06-092581-7;
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060925817/qid=999260851/sr=1-1/ref=sc_b_1/102-3483475-4458511

Jean Gimpel; "The Medieval Machine: The Industrial Revolution of the Middle Ages";
ISBN: 0140045147;
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140045147/ref=pd_sbs_b_2/102-3483475-4458511

Lynn Townsend White; "Medieval Technology & Social Change";
ISBN: 0195002660;
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0195002660/ref=pd_sbs_b_1/102-3483475-4458511

> The following may be of use regards the history of
> technology as it relates to the cultivation of the land.
> Ladis's book "Engineering in the Ancient World"

Actually there is very little about agriculture in the Landels
book -- I included it in the list simply as a matter of record
-- since it was one of the 4 references that I used to prepare
to give my class.

> "Greek and Roman Technology"
> "Islamic Technology"

amazon.com didn't list those as authored by Landels ...
who were the authors?

> Daniel

Vincenzo

--Martin G. Diehl