[Sca-cooks] How much land to feed a person

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Tue May 3 14:15:51 PDT 2005

Am Dienstag, 3. Mai 2005 23:07 schrieb Phlip:
> You know, guys, I keep seeing this thread, and thinking of a mud pie eating
> contest. Are mud pies even period?

In the left background of Pieter Breughel's 1560 painting 'children's games',
today at the Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna,  we can see a child (of
indeterminate gender) playing on a sand hill. There is a darker patch of sand
to its left clearly modelled in three dimensions that can be tentatively
identifioed as a precursor of the mud pie. I assume, however, that a mud pie
as the 20th century understands it would require a shaped mould that was not
in common use by children before plastic put it within financial reach of
most families in Europe, but I am told that mud pies are still made without
those tools by peasant communities in Africa and South America.

What do you mean it wasn't a serious question?

Giano