[Sca-cooks] "Cooking Under Fire"

Denise Wolff scadian at hotmail.com
Sun May 8 06:08:21 PDT 2005

"Cookery is not chemistry. It is an art. It requires instinct and taste
rather than exact measurements. ~ Marcel Boulestin "

http://homepage.mac.com/rickwolff/andrea/

>For this contest, they also only had 1 hour in which to complete the task.
>But unless your custard has to cool for a long while, I don't think that
>would be a problem.
>
>Why are you using the fruit zest for flavoring rather than the fruit juice?
>Or does the juice do something to the custard? Why not flavor with the
>juice and sprinkle the zest on top for color, as well as for flavor and a
>texture contrast? If you had it, and you probably wouldn't in this
>restaurant kitchen, I think some candied peel might be nice for this.
>
>Stefan
>--------
>THLord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra

Actually, one of the contestants did present a custard. It was noted that he
thought outside the box and it was good.

All in all, as reality shows go, it's okay. As a cooking show, it's fair. If
one is watching it for the learning aspect- don't.Unless you just like to
look at pretty food, as I do.

I just finished reading Michael Ruhlman's book "The Making of A Chef" (
about his experiences at the CIA...I'm trying to decide whether it is worth
my money and time to change careers)

I can see the show's focus from that book. He talks about mise-en-place ad
nauseum and he stresses the time and multicook factor in the cooking regime.

Andrea MacIntyre
(who spent Saturday watching Peter G. Rose teach...and still is on Cloud
Nine)