[Sca-cooks] Medieval and/or Middle Eastern Recipies containingTomatoes

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 11:51:27 PDT 2005

The only thing I can figure is that Tomatoes, potatoes, tobacco, and capsicum peppers are all genus Solanum.  A common ingredient in Medieval Middle Eastern recipes was Eggplant, another Solanum.  Seems quite a stretch to me, though.

Mordonna

kingstaste at mindspring.com wrote:

Granted, I have only been studying this topic for 26
years, and have a mere 50 or so volumes on the subject, so I am very curious
as to your sources for this information. What period sources contain
objects that should be considered related to the tomato? Can you give me an
example of a recipe you are thinking of?

Ok, so I got a *little* snotty there, but I was trying to be good :)
Thanks for the link, Regina. The footnote that showed it was the source of
that Russian study didn't have a link, it was from Science. I'd like to see
what the author actually said before I start quoting back. Actually, I
think I probably won't get that deep into it, I doubt this fellow has any
real hard evidence. I am still curious about that quote from the Rialto
about pre-Columbian references to tomato-like objects in the Middle East,
though.
Christianna