[Sca-cooks] Period Tomatoes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun May 15 15:12:28 PDT 2005

Nothing in this statement provides that the strains are different.  The 8
Turkish strains could be a subset of the 13 Peruvian ones.  Simply counting
strains proves little.  I'm much more interested in how they cross breed
with wild varieties and an analysis of the genetic differences.  I will
point out C.M. Rick describes the cross breeding of wild and domestic
tomatoes in South America.  I've not seen any information for this from
Turkey.  Are any of the Turkish strains wild?

One might also check Taylor, I.B., 1991.  Biosystematics of the tomato;  in
Atherton and Rudich, The tomato crop; A scientific basis for improvement,
pp. 1-22.

The botanist Edgar Anderson believes that the Turks were early adopters of
the tomato and responsible for spreading it into the Levant and the Balkans
early in the 16th Century.  The tomato is still a major crop in Turk and
there is quite a bit of tomato cultivation research in Turkish.  With almost
500 years and the experimental agricultural background of the Turks, I'm a
little surprised that there are only 8 strains.

It should also be pointed out that tomato seeds are found in archeological
digs is South America.  I have yet to see any cataloged in a Turkish (or
even Levantine) dig.  If the tomato is truly indigenous to Turkey, then I
would expect to find evidence of prehistoric use.  BTW, I have an interest
in seed counts and descriptions from digs.  It helps me understand the
spread of baking in early cultures.

While I haven't read it, Grewe, Rudolf, The Arrival of the Tomato in Spain
and Italy:  Early Recipes;  The Journal of Gastronomy 3:67-81 (1988), might
prove enlightening to anyone interested in the early history of the tomato
in the Old World.

Bear