[Sca-cooks] Period Tomatoes

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 16:59:02 PDT 2005

Apparently, he entered and won an A&S competition in Cynaugua with a recipe from the web site of the Turkish Ministry of Culture.
Here is my response to him on that:
Sorry, that site does not necessarily date this recipe as Medieval,
merely as Ottoman, and they date the Ottoman Empire as extending from
the 13th century until 1923. While the 13th century definitely falls
within our period of interest, 1923 doesn't. The Ministry of Culture
does not mention when within that period this recipe was first used.
I've emailed them to ask.
So far as finding what I want, you are entirely mistaken. I'd be very
pleased to be able to use a good gumbo recipe as an A&S entry, or for
feast. Unfortunately my thirteen years of research haven't yet been
able to turn up a reliable source to put tomatoes in common use in
Western Europe (or even Eastern Europe) during the time frame of our
interest.

Mordonna, (who bit her lip until it bled before reposting. Sorry.)

> I already posted the URL for the Turkish Ministry of Culture with
> Ottoman Recipies using tomato -- I will send another off-list that I
> might still use in competition here. I had many others on another
> computer out west and would have to research again -- but, of
> course, so can anyone else. That's the key -- if you believe that
> tomatoes (or whatever tranlates as tomatoes) were used you will find
> them -- if you don't -- you won't.
>
> kinjal

Pat Griffin
Lady Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook
Shire of Thorngill, Meridies
Mundanely, Millbrook, AL
Vert, between four cauldrons or, a cross checky argent and sable