[Sca-cooks] cakes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun May 15 19:58:36 PDT 2005

Also sprach Terry Decker:
>The Oxford English Dictionary lists uses of a word or phrase.  Does
>the recipe specifically use the term pound cake?  If so, write the
>OED staff and let them know.  They'll probably add it to the usage
>list in the next edition.

It is called a pound cake, and uses a pound each of flour, butter,
and sugar, with twelve egg yolks and six whites (which may or may not
equal a pound, depending on egg size). It also allows for optional
caraway seeds. It's a little different in technique from the modern
cream cake version, and I get the impression this makes a pretty
dense cake (it's one of those "beaten for an hour" cakes), but it's
pretty recognizable as pound cake.

Adamantius