[Sca-cooks] cakes

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 23:24:25 PDT 2005

I don't know which edition of the OED that Bear used, but this is what the current edition says:

[f. POUND n.1 + CAKE n.]

    A rich cake so called as originally containing a pound (or equal weight) of each of the
principal ingredients, flour, butter, sugar, fruit, etc.

  1747 H. GLASSE Art of Cookery xv. 138 Pound Cake. Take a Pound of Butter..twelve Eggs..a Pound
of Flour..a Pound of Sugar [etc.]. 1807 M. E. RUNDELL New Syst. Domestic Cookery 217 (heading) A
good pound cake. 1841 THACKERAY Men & Coats Wks. 1900 XIII. 601 It will have a great odour of
bohea and pound-cake. 1876 F. E. TROLLOPE Charming Fellow II. ix. 138 [He] begged to recommend the
pound-cake, from his own personal experience. c1900 Beeton's Every-day Cook. Bk. 396 Pound
Cake.Ingredients of large cake: 1 lb. of butter, 1 lb. of flour, 1 lb. of pounded loaf sugar,
1 lb. of currants, 9 eggs, 2 oz. of candied peel [etc.]. 1942 B. ROBERTSON Red Hills & Cotton iii.
69 We liked..cornbread with chitterlings, ambrosia, stuffed eggs, pound cake. 1951 T. CAPOTE Grass
Harp (1952) i. 12 Dolly, who lived off sweet foods, was always baking a pound cake. 1977 Time 24
Jan. 5/2 Pound cake will remain just that, no matter how many grams the ingredients weigh.

Huette