[Sca-cooks] Kitchen amusements

Speaker To Idiots pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon May 16 06:07:46 PDT 2005

>> And now for chapter 2 in Mishaps with Margaret. The astute reader will
>> remember the first kitchen mishap, which involved spilling the jar of myrrh
>> into the stove, causing the lovely scent to fill the room every time
>> stovetop cooking happened.
>>
>> This weekend's mishap involved the discovery that if you are making (or, in
>> this case, attempting to make) pomegranate syrup a la the Anonymous
>> Andalusian recipe, and you cook it for too long, you get pomegranate
>> toffee. *g*
>>
>> Margaret FitzWilliam
>
> That's not _necessarily_ a bad thing...  mmm, toffee.
> A similar thing happened to us at the Iron Chef feast at Cooks & Bards.  We
> left the fruit syrup on the stove "just a little longer" and ended up with
> hard-crack candy!  Made some lovely spun sugar to garnish the torte, though
> :-)
>
> Faerisa

I overcooked the rose syrup, too, but there was less of it to start with,
so it got a lot closer to hard-crack and was thus much less amusing when I
went to attempt to decant it into bottles. ;-)

The cherry (which I freely admit I made up, but it's tasty) and the lemon
were much better. Probably because there was a lot more liquid volume, in
both cases.

Margaret FitzWilliam