[Sca-cooks] swiss chard =/= beet greens?

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon May 16 07:56:17 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Greetings! I had heard (and told others) that swiss chard was the modern
> version of 'leaf beet'. Of course now I can't remember where I found
> that info, and some friends of mine and I were wondering about it.
> Anyone have a more concrete answer and be awake enough to produce it?
> Thank you!
>
> (Stefan, if the answer is in the Florilegium, that's wonderful but my
> brain is not ready to handle the kind of search statement that would get
> that out without trudging through lots of recipes calling for
> chard/beets!)
>
> --
> -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa,

Actually, I'd be very interested in what you find, since to my taste, Swiss
Chard is not very similar to beet greens. And, interestingly enough. when
you look through the seed catalogs, they advertise various strains of beets
as being particularly good for greens, but I haven't noticed them saying
that swiss chard was good as beet greens without beets.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.