[Sca-cooks] swiss chard =/= beet greens?

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Mon May 16 08:22:56 PDT 2005

According to Körber-Grohne: 'Nutzpflanzen in Deutschland von der Vorgeschichte
bis Heute', chard is of the same family (beta) as red beets (and, for that
matter, sugar beets) and the main difference is that the one was selectively
bred for leaves, the other for the root. As late as 1600, chard has thick,
fleshy roots of culinarily useful size.

YIS

Giano