[Sca-cooks] Medieval and/or Middle Eastern Recipies containingTomatoes

ekoogler1 at comcast.net ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon May 16 12:50:25 PDT 2005

Interestingly enough, I'm currently reading a book about the Chinese voyages possibly to and around the New World...during the 15th century.  It's by Gavin Menzies, and is quite fascinating...and quite logical in its conclusions.

I mention it here because it indicates that many new world plants were brought to China by these voyages...and vice versa.  I don't recollect, off the top of my head, any reference to tomatoes, specifically.  Most of the references were to maize...and the grinding stones used to turn corn into flour...as well as peppers, etc....and how these have been found in the holds of ships that seem to date to this period.  It also discusses how Chinese things made their way to the New World...things like the variety of chicken...which did not exist in Europe at the time...and, according to the book, could only have come from China.

I'm going to check the book tonight...I did bring it with me on my trip to NYC...and see if there is any mention of tomatoes.

Kiri