[Sca-cooks] "Fra Serenio"?

julian wilson smnco37 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 16 17:00:57 PDT 2005

Heather Musinski <rachaol at yahoo.com> wrote:
Here is her rather controversial assertion...
"pomidoro, Italian for tomato, which has been used extensively in many form in Italy since the 15th century, when seeds from China were first brought back and grown by an Italian monk, Fra Serenio."

I haven't found any reference to pomidoro in the Italian I've worked with, though I'll have to check out this Fra Serenio now. The reference to China is intriguing. I am aware of the new book about China's expedition to the New World...1421: The Year China discovered America. I haven't read it, and am interested to hear what others think.

COMMENT
Well, this may be the Franciscan monk to whom she refers - Alexius de Serenio Mediolanensis (d. 1448) aka  'Alessio da Seregno'

>>author of a Quadragesimale and other sermons

manuscripts

>>see Motta

editions

literature

Wadding, Script., 11; Sbar., Suppl., I, 24; DHGE, II, 397; Italia Sacra, II, 232 & IV, 942; G. Motta, `I codici di Alessio da Seregno', in: G. Picasso & M. Tagliabue (ed.), Seregno. Una communità di Brianza nella storia (secoli XI-XX) (Seregno, 1994), 437-88.

Yours in service,
Julian Wilson,
[aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
"The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
[the only medieval living-history Group
in "olde" Jersey]