[Sca-cooks] Guinea Fowl

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon May 16 19:16:05 PDT 2005

Guinea fowl show up as "turkey" before the second quarter of the 16th
Century when they were replaced by the New World turkey.  According to some
sources, they were reintroduced into Europe during the Portuguese
exploration of Africa.  The Romans referred to the Guinea fowl as the
Numidian Hen.

They were introduced into the U.S. as Hungarian Guinea fowl.  You
occasionally find them running wild in the prairie states.

Bear