[Sca-cooks] Ye old artichoke question

Ariane Helou Ariane_Helou at brown.edu
Tue May 17 08:21:57 PDT 2005

Greetings,

Your friendly neighborhood classicist has an answer to the first question:

The thing that the satyr is holding in the Pompeiian relief is most
definitely *not* an artichoke.  It is, as the caption states, a "thyrsus,"
an accessory of certain religious rituals; it's a staff with ivy or vine
leaves wrapped around it, and the artichoke-looking thing that sometimes
appears at the top is actually pine cone.  It appears frequently in
iconography (both Greek and Roman) of the god Dionysus and his cult
worshippers, or (as in this picture) of satyrs and other deities associated
with the natural world or with agriculture, and is described in literature
as well.  In Greek, "thyrsos" is one of several words to describe this
item; in Latin, "thyrsus" usually refers to this decorated staff but can
also have the literal meaning of the stem or stalk of a plant.  But in any
case, it's not an artichoke -- sorry.

I can't say for certain about the second mosaic, since there's so little
context, but since there seem to be straight leaves sprouting off the
stalks, I'd say the argument for those being a representation of artichokes
is stronger.  And they do look very convincingly like artichokes.  On the
other hand, I suppose they could be badly-drawn thyrsi? ;-)

As for whether the ancients did in fact have artichokes, I did a search of
English definitions in the major Greek lexicon (Liddell & Scott) and a
reliable Latin dictionary (Lewis & Short).  While these are still the
standard in language study, I should point out that they were written in
the 19th century and not all the definitions have been brought up to
date.  That said:

In Greek: "kaulokinara: an artichoke stem"; "kinara: artichoke, Cynara
Scolymus"; and even "kinarephagos: eating artichokes."  There's also a
specialized usage of "sphondylos" (usually "vertebra, spine, backbone") to
mean "the head of a kind of artichoke (kinara)."

In Latin: we have "ascalia: the edible part of an artichoke"; "cactus: A
prickly plant with edible stalks, etc., found in Sicily, Spanish artichoke:
Cynara cardunculus, Linn."; "cinara: a kind of artichoke (Cinara scolymus,
Linn.) native to the island of Cinara".

Kinara, cinara, and cynara are just different spellings of the same
thing.  So the real question is, what on earth are Cinara/Cynara scolymus
and Cynara cardunculus?  Failing that, does there currently exist anything
labeled as Sicilian or Spanish artichoke?  This is where my sleuthing
abilities fall short.  (I should point out, also, that the "Linn." on the
scientific names means -- I'm pretty sure -- that this is the Linnaean
nomenclature from the 17th or 18th century, and therefore won't necessarily
correspond to modern scientific nomenclature; not only that, but it was a
label applied by scholars living a couple thousand years later than the
'kinarephagoi' in question.)

So we know that there existed in antiquity something that more modern
scholars like to label as "artichokes," but who knows what that really
means.  Actually, I just went to an English dictionary and it says the
scientific name of what we call the artichoke IS Cynara scolymus, which is
pretty cool.  But -- and I realize I'm kind of arguing myself in a circle
here -- isn't that exactly the tomato issue?  A modern scholar looks at an
ancient description of a fruit or vegetable, and makes a guess (not always
correctly) at what its modern equivalent might be?

Finally, "the seminal works for the Roman artichoke" previously inquired
after would be the relevant chapters in Pliny's "Natural History."  I don't
have a copy handy, but if I get a chance I'll look it up when I go to the
library later.

Anyway, I hope I provided some answers, and I'm sure I raised a number of
questions.  And I haven't even had coffee yet. :-(

Vittoria