[Sca-cooks] 1421 was Medieval and/or Middle EasternRecipies containingTomatoes

ekoogler1 at comcast.net ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue May 17 08:56:44 PDT 2005

Yes, I am enjoying the book...and have had serious doubts about what he has had to say...even though my knowledge of the origin of foodstuffs is definitely not on a par with yours, Bear.  I have to admit that his theories are intriguing...the Chinese were very special, and 'way far more advanced that the Europeans saw them to be...and, in light of that, it would be great to think that their voyages to the New World predated Columbus...though still after the Vikings.

I had gone back to my hotel room and looked up tomatoes in the book and found the same information you did...he claims that they were found in Easter Island and that was one of his citations of proof for the treasure ship voyages.  Too bad.  I have been interested in this sort of thing for a number of years...as an art historian, I have pondered the parallel existence of certain themes/motifs in cultures around the world...so I found this concept, as I sad above, intriguing!

Kiri