[Sca-cooks] swiss chard =/= beet greens?

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue May 17 14:45:24 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Am Dienstag, 17. Mai 2005 22:20 schrieb Carole Smith:
> > Aren't the leaves of modern beets edible?
>
> Well, I've eaten some and I'm still around. It's just not worth buying
beets
> for the leaves.

Might be a difference in varieties between you guys and the US. I frequently
buy beets for the greens, wqhen I'm not growing them, and US seed catalogs
will mention that particular varieties have particularly good greens. Maybe
something like the difference between US and European attitudes towards
maize?

> > I have been told by cooks I thought knowledgeable that the roots of the
> > beet were not considered food in period, but that the leaves were.  It
> > hasn't been on my hot list to verify this one.
>
> I doubt it. I guess it is possible that Apicius means beet greens served
with
> mustard and vinegar, and that de Rontzier wants them pickled with anise,
but
> both seem to jive much better with the root.
>
> YIS
>
> Giano

I think there was a long discussion here some time ago. I know, with the
help of a Russian friend, we determined that there was a distinct vocabulary
differentiating beetroot and greens.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.