[Sca-cooks] Stuffed Poultry

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 16:16:08 PDT 2005

--- Sharon Gordon <gordonse at one.net> wrote:
> I'm looking for recipes for stuffed poultry.  And I'm interested in all
> sorts of styles of stuffing including poultry stuffed with mixtures of
> vegetables, herbs, fruits, grains, poultry that might be described as
> "semi-stuffed" like Icelandic Chicken, and recipes where the only stuffing
> might be herbs and other items inserted between the skin and the meat.  So
> far I have
>
> ***Stuffed-Cavity***
> 1) Stuffed goose or capon, recipe 35 from Two Fifteenth Century Cookbooks/
> 2) Apicius Stuffed Chicken #248 with flavored spelt
> 3) Apicius Stuffed  chicken #199 with peas/pods, brains, sausage, herbs
> 4) Viandier's Roast Stuffed Quail with cheese and marrow
> 5) Libro della cucina's Roast Goose with vinegared garlic, salt and herbs
> 6)  Forme of Cury's Chickens with grapes, garlic, and herbs
> 7)  Forme of Cury's Gees with Sawse Madame herb, fruits, garlic
> 8) Harleian MS 4016 Duck roased with salt
> 9) Harleian MS 4016 Goose or Capon stuffed
>
> ***Semi-Stuffed or Individually Stuffed Pieces***
> 1) Pulli in Pastellis  aka Icelandic Chicken
>

> ***Stuffed-Under Skin***
> ?
>
> What am I missing?

Four stuffed birds from Sabina Welserin:

2 To make capons or hens in a glass

Take a capon, or a hen, which should not be especially large, or a rooster. Scald it well and
make it very clean, and when it is scalded, cut open the skin from around the neck for about a
finger's length. Otherwise let the skin be entirely undamaged. Draw the neck completely out of
the skin, in such a way that the wings are also skinned in this manner, until the small bones in
the front are completely caught up in the skin. After that pull the skin from it as far as the
knee, and that so that the feet and the head remain caught up in the skin. And when you have taken
out the large bones and the flesh of the capon, or the hen, and emptied the skin completely, then
take a white silk thread and sew the capon closed again. After that put one leg after the other
into a glass vessel. And if the capon has claws on the feet, cut them off. Next put the skin
entirely inside as far as the head, which does not go into it. You can cut it off. Then take the
capon meat and chop it small. When it is finely chopped, then put an egg and good spices thereon,
a little saffron, as much as one stuffs in a small hen for roasting, and with a funnel stuff it
through the beak into the capon. Then the skin is once again filled, as if the capon were whole.
Afterwards set the glass vessel into a pot of water and let it cook therein, then see you, that it
is right. Slaughter the chicken or the capon only when it is to be prepared, so that it is not
torn in the front. Pay attention afterwards to proceed carefully, so that the skin is not torn and
remains whole.

13 To make stuffed birds

Prepare them in the following manner: Take small wild birds, hold them with a finger and stuff
them with eggs. Put some ground anise and juniper berries into them to avoid a gamy smell. Leave
the feet and heads on the birds, stick them on a spit and roast them, but not too dry, and in a
bowl make a sweet sauce with Reinfal for the birds. In this manner one can stuff other birds.

15
Take a goose, stuff it with onions, peeled quinces, pears and bacon, stick it on a spit and roast
it.

8 A well roasted young goose

Then take the goose liver and with it ten plums and put them in the goose and sew it up underneath
and put it on a spit. It will be good. And when you serve it then open it up.

One Dutch recipe from "Wel ende edelike spijse", a manuscript from the second half of the
fifteenth century

1.3. Who wants to make stuffing,
takes pork, lean and fat, well cooked, and hard boiled eggs, chopped together. Put it in a mortar
and crush well and add good spices (?), pepper, saffron, enough spices, salt to taste. And it is
also good to make white sausages and pancakes, to stuff eggs, pastries, fritters, to stuff pig's
trotters, to stuff hens and young chickens, to stuff eggs, crayfish and apples.

Huette