[Sca-cooks] swiss chard =/= beet greens?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue May 17 22:12:17 PDT 2005

  Cordelia Toser commented:
> I have been told by cooks I thought knowledgeable that the roots of the
> beet were not considered food in period, but that the leaves were.  It
> hasn't been on my hot list to verify this one.

Yes, I remember some discussion on this list about this. Whether you
use the roots or the leaves could really affect the way a recipe turns
out. Not necessarily that one would be inedible, but they would be
different. I believe that this file in the FOOD-VEGETABLES section of
the Florilegium has some of these discussions:
beets-msg       (125K) 1/17/05   Period beet roots and beet greens.
Recipes.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas