[Sca-cooks] To Garnish and Present Med/Ren Food

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed May 18 14:45:39 PDT 2005

It's an SCA contest. Ask the person running it what they want to see.
If they want flowers, provide flowers. If they want pastry cut-outs,
do pastry cut-outs. This is an artificial thing that the Society likes
to see.
I really have problems with the idea that all medieval feast
dishes were garnished. For head table yes! Perhaps? For the 400 diners
in the
hall eating a two course mess of dishes, would they really have decorated
every dish? Hardly? Strew on some spice and serve it forth!
I have seen more attention paid to garnishing at times than to the important
parts of  recipe, documentation, was the food hot or cold, served with the
right sauces, etc. Pretty counts, especially in contests. I watched one
entry
receive great marks yet the contestant had placed the small items being
served
on bay leaves. Now bay leaves are a botanical, and in this kingdom all
those botanical/herbal
ingredients have to abide by a special botanicals list. Failing to
comply with those
instructions means that the entry should be dismissed from the contest.
So this entry that failed to comply with the rules slips past because it's
pretty.

Johnnae