[Sca-cooks] To Garnish and Present Med/Ren Food

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri May 20 13:42:59 PDT 2005

I have been reading this garnishing thread with lots of interest.  There
have been lots of really good insights, and, by the way, thanks Serena for
the great link to your work on this!

As my "job" in our cooks guild, I end up being in charge of doing garnishing
and solties.  I work with Mistress Bec who does the plating selection for
each dish (we are very wealthy in high end serving ware).  We even budget in
a garnishing budget into our total budget.  Now, granted, this whole thing
started with me, years ago, bringing along "stuff" to garnish with because I
hate unattractive food.  As it stands now, if the original recipe calls for
a particular garnish, I try to use it.  If it doesn't, I try to come up with
items either from that period, that cuisne, or the season.  I do step out of
this set of paramiter if I dream up some cool thing.  Like when we served
the green tart.  I garnished it with fresh roundels of lotus root (which we
cooked as is directed for such) and sprinkled with pomagrante seeds.  It
looked very attractive and was well received.  On occasion I still drag out
the green onion "flowers" and the occasional curly kale, but I keep reaching
further into my bag of tricks and match it with my knowledge of period foods
that could possibly be used.  Something must be working as I keep seeing my
ideas showing up at others feasts.  And no, I never heard of a thing such as
an "apple egg" in period, but they really go over well and are often
requested.

Cariad a heddwch (love and peace)

THLady Olwen the Odd
Apprentice to Master Chirhart Blackstar