[Sca-cooks] Question about watermelon...

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri May 20 14:05:08 PDT 2005

Watermelons— Come originally from Sub-Saharan Africa and were eaten by
the Egyptians, but not apparently by the Romans and Greeks. They begin
to appear in still life paintings in Northern Europe after circa 1450.
Watermelon was never as popular as the other melons. I have not found
that garnishing melons in the fashions employed here today was done
prior to 1600, but again it seemed the decorative, inexpensive, and
festive thing to do.

This is from my notes that I made when I served them last.
Castelvetro's manuscript contains a good description of them.
See Castelvetro, Giacomo. The Fruit, Herbs & Vegetables of Italy.
Translated by Gillian Riley. London: Viking, 1989.

If you search the web gallery of art under melon you can turn up
some pictures of at least 17th century cantalopes.

Johnnae