[Sca-cooks] Easy Recipe search

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sat May 21 07:07:59 PDT 2005

wildecelery at aol.com wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> My mother's middle school tema wants to do a medieval fair as a
> culminating project for their students. They are looking for simple,
> inexpensive recipes for the kids to do. I have a few, but most of mine
> are more Roman than "medieval" Any ideas?
>
> -Ardenia

Not sure whether or not I have the recipe handy, but we've done
gingerbread (breadcrumbs, honey, pepper and ginger, garnished with
cloves) with a great deal of success. Another possibility, though it's
veggies and a lot of kids don't like them, is the following marinated
carrot recipe:

*A Carrot Sallad--*

* *
1 # baby carrots
3 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. chervil
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
4 tbsp. Salad oil
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1 lg. Sprig parsley

Scrub carrots and cut off green tops. Bring water, salt, chervil to a
boil in a saucepan. Add the carrots, cover the pot, and cook until the
carrots are tender but still crisp—about 10 minutes.

In a deep bowl, mix together the vinegar, oil and pepper. Drain the
carrots, add them to the dressing and stir them until they are nicely
coated. Cover the bowl and marinate the carrots in the dressing for at
least an hour.

Wash the parsley in cold water, shake off the moisture, and snip off the
stems. Make a rosette of the leaves in the center of a dinner plate.
Arrange the carrots around the parsley like a sunburst, and pour a
little of the dressing over the carrots.

Original: Carrets boyled and eaten with vinegar, Oyle, and Pepper serve
for a special good salad to stirre up appetite, and to puyrifie blood.
–William Vaughn, /Directions for Health/

_Dining with William Shakespeare_, Madge Lorwin.