[Sca-cooks] UPdate & a question on pine nuts

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sat May 21 23:30:25 PDT 2005

Am Sonntag, 22. Mai 2005 02:09 schrieb Susan Laing:

> And secondly – I’m trying to put together one extra dish soley for the
> Vegetarians attending the feast next week (to be served to them whilst
> everyone else is getting the meat course).  I’ve found various “Vegetable
> Pie” recipes but a number call for the inclusion of “Pine Nuts”.  Would it
> be foolish of me to include the nuts and just assume that any of the
> vegetarians that might also have a nut allergy would be bright enough to
> tell me first?

I guess that depends on how you asked. If you specified they tell you of 'any
special dietary needs' or somesuch in advance then everyone who told you
they're vegetarian but neglected to mention a nut allergy has no complaint
coming. However, if the question was 'vegetarian option' or you just had
people speak up of their own volition things are different. Of course this
will also depend on how much you want to make this dish - if you're just
looking for something to enhance the vegetarian option, it is probably better
to do without nuts - either leave them out or cook something else. But if
this particular one will go with the spread, give it thought.

$ .02

Giano