[Sca-cooks] Writing Middle English - & time frame - an aside from "period cookbook"

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sun May 22 19:53:21 PDT 2005

At 03:37 PM 5/22/2005, you wrote:

>When our Companie interact with the visitors to our Camps, we only resume
>modern speech to them,  if our Visitors "look blank" when we speak Early
>Middle English  [which is correct for "our period", 1450 to 1509]. Even
>our youngest Companions pick-up the 15th C. speech-habits very quickly.

Just a minor correction, Julian- I'm certain you meant Early _Modern_
English (which is that time period, and Shakespeare is probably the best
known writer of such), as Early Middle English would be the 12th century.
As late as 1120 or so, the language was still pretty much Anglo-Saxon, but
by Stephen's reign, an entry into the Old English Annals (Peterborough
Chronicles) is decipherable (sort of) by someone who can read Chaucer, or
simply has a creative bent to their reading. The Great Vowel Shift  that
started in the mid/late 15th century was the pivot point for Middle English
becoming Early Modern English.

'Lainie, Pedant-at-Large