[Sca-cooks] Norse Pies (was period cookies)

otsisto otsisto at socket.net
Sun May 22 22:55:55 PDT 2005

> currants,
>
>* Red, black or Zantes?

<Zante.  It was what was available in my supermarket.>

*I understand. Just curious.

>I used boiled beef and domestic (cow's milk) feta cheese.
>
>*Would the French have used feta cheese?

<An excellent question.  That depends on what you mean by feta cheese.
[Here commences a lecture -- forgive me if this is information you
already know.]  We have some recipes for cheesemaking from ancient and
medieval times.  We know they used a variety of milks (including cow,
sheep, goat, and buffalo).  We know the names of some of the cheeses
they made in period, and some of those are still made today,
(snip)..how well it works.  </lecture>
--
Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom>

*Thank you. This helps me understand a bit more. I wasn't challenging your
choice of cheese, I was inquiring for knowledge sake. I always like to hear
why a person chose this ingredient instead of that one.
So how did the guin....samplers like it?:)

Lyse