[Sca-cooks] Norse Pies (was period cookies)

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon May 23 13:11:51 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> > I admire cooks who get recipes right on the first try, and aren't afraid
to serve an untested dish at a feast.  I doubt I'll ever be one of them.

> Greetings,
>
> As a general rule I completely agree with you. I believe I average 3
> attempts at each recipie I try before I achieve something I would be
> willing to serve. Occasionally I "get it right" the first time. But
> more often I only cook something once because once is enough to know
> that I will NOT be serving that particular dish to anyone I care for
> any time soon. ;)
>
> Glad Tidings,
> Serena da Riva

Now, this is something I have trouble understanding. Yes, I'll agree that
there are certain dishes that need a certain amount of fine tuning-
Brighid's example regarding the balance of the pastry vs the filling is a
perfect example (and I could definitely wish that modern pizza shops would
work on that as well). But, can't you taste a food, in your head? Doesn't
really take much to look at a food, if you know its basic ingredients and
primary spicings to say, "I won't like this" or "I doubt this spicing blends
well with that ingredient" or "This looks like it will produce a muddy
melange, where I'm looking for a cleaner flavor note." I think the only two
types of dishes I have difficlty with are pastries, as I mentioned, and some
egg dishes.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.