[Sca-cooks] Making wood charcoal

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue May 24 00:02:42 PDT 2005

Sharon asked:
> Has anyone made their own real wood charcoal?
> Tips? Suggestions? Warnings? Dire warnings :-) ?

I've only done it on a very small scale. A sealed tin can, with a small
hole punched in the top, filled with sawdust and placed on top of the
range. In that case, you want to light the gases coming out through the
hole to burn them off.

There is a British company which makes a number of small pamphlets on
various heritage crafts. I can't remember the company right now, but I
seem to remember that they had one on charcoal making.

Although I don't think there is much 'how-to' info in it, you might
find this file in the COMMERCE section of the Florilegium to be of
interest:
charcoal-msg     (29K) 9/28/01   Use and making of charcoal in period.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMMERCE/charcoal-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas