[Sca-cooks] Condoignac by Any Other Name...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed May 25 21:16:35 PDT 2005

   Alys Katharine commented:
> Nichola commented:
> > I must look up what the Condoignac is exactly
> > but I definitely appreciate the setting the stage
> > and documenting.
>
> It's quince paste and is known and spelled by many names: quiddony,
> cotignac and a bunch of other variations that sound similar if you
> read the
> word aloud.  It's very popular in English cookery books in the 1500s
> and
> 1600s.

Here are a pair of Florilegium files with some more info on this and on
quinces themselves.
marmalades-msg   (76K) 6/18/04   Period marmalades and fruit jellies
and jams
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/marmalades-msg.html
fruit-quinces-msg (73K) 5/13/04   Period uses and recipes for quinces.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/fruit-quinces-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas