[Sca-cooks] spelt bread

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri May 27 16:23:33 PDT 2005

While gluten in spelt flour has greater dissolubility, the saccharides and
the protein complex in spelt bread actually differs from that of bread made
from club wheat.

Bojnanska and Francokova (The use of spelt wheat (Triticum spelta L.) for
baking applications) comment that Bonafacia et al (Characteristics of spelt
wheat products and nutritional value of spelt wheat-based bread) report that
the proteins from bread made with spelt flour are less rapidly digested.
This suggests to me that the aminoacids that trigger the immunological
reaction of celiac disease are more slowly released by spelt bread and may
not produce as great an effect as that of other wheat breads.

While a borderline celiac may be able to eat spelt bread without visible
effect, there is no difference in the aminoacid complex as compared to other
wheat breads.  Therefore, it should not be eaten by people with celiac
disease.

Bear