[Sca-cooks] spelt bread

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat May 28 04:41:35 PDT 2005

Celiac disease is an immune reaction to gluten proteins.  The antibodies
produced by the body's immune system damage the villi (hairlike vascular
projections) of the small intestine making it more difficult or impossible
for the villi to absorb nutrients.  Digestibility or indigestibility has
little to do with the problem, the real issue is the quality and quantity of
the gluten antigens released by digestion and the corresponding antibody
response.

Bear