[Sca-cooks] Cuisine Styles

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 7 13:01:52 PST 2005

I am in the process of putting together my next set of 10 classes under my
"Healthy Cooking For Teens" banner.  I just finished with a course of 10
classes that were culinary basics.  This time, we're going to do
international cuisines.  I'd like to feature one typical vegetable and
seasoning per class.  The students will largely be ones I've just finished
with, and they know I do historical foods, especially since I do a food
class each quarter for my living history kids.  They've asked for at least
one of the 10 classes to be historical in nature.
	I have put together a list of cuisines that I'd like to include, and
thought I'd run it up this flagpole and see what salutes I get out of you
guys.  I am thinking that the historical stuff will go under the Traditional
Holiday class, since that one will be Dec. 22nd anyway, there are lots of
Christmas dishes that are applicable.
	Here's my list so far after my preliminary brainstorming (and no actual
research):

1	Intro to Cuisine Styles - American Regional Cuisines
a.	Vegetables – lettuce, carrots
b.	Starches - corn, potato
c.	Seasonings – catsup, Tobasco
d.	Meats – beef, shellfish

2.	Italian
a.	Vegetables – tomato, garlic
b.	Starches – pasta,
c.	Seasonings – basil, oregano, rosemary
d.	Meats – preserved meats (pork)

3	French
a.	Vegetables – leeks, shallots
b.	Starches - bread
c.	Seasonings – tarragon,
d.	Meats - duck

4	Traditional Holiday Fare
a.	Vegetables – chestnuts, what is a traditional vegetable dish that could
b.	Starches – turnips?
c.	Seasonings – cinnamon, ginger
d.	Meats – large roasts

5	Chinese
a.	Vegetables – bok choy, mushrooms
b.	Starches – wheat, rice,
c.	Seasonings – fresh ginger, star anise,
d.	Meats - pork

6	Japanese, Thai, & Other
a.	Vegetables – sea vegetables
b.	Starches - rice
c.	Seasonings – miso, fish sauce
d.	Meats - fish

7	African
a.	Vegetables – yams, millet, peanuts
b.	Starches – cous cous, enjera
c.	Seasonings –
d.	Meats - lamb

8	Spanish
a.	Vegetables – artichoke, olive,
b.	Starches - rice
c.	Seasonings – saffron
d.	Meats - chicken

9	Vegetarian
a.	Vegetables –
b.	Starches – winter squash
c.	Seasonings – soy sauce/tamari,
d.	Proteins – tempeh, tofu, food combining

10	Caribbean
a.	Vegetables –akee,
b.	Starches - green bananas & plantains, casava
c.	Seasonings – ‘jerk’, peppers, sugar
d.	Meats – oxtail, goat

Please, help me brainstorm here.  I only have an hour per class, so I won't
do everything.  Basically right now I'm looking for your reactions  - what
do you think typifies the categories under each cuisine?
Christianna